Friday, August 8, 2008

Work That Does Some Good.....

Today, I taught a class at the hospital called Safesitter. The class was founded in 1980 by a pediatrician out of Indianapolis whose coworkers child died from choking while in the care of a babysitter. It's a great class and teaches 11-17 year old kids how to be better and safe sitters. I became an instructor a couple of weeks ago after a lengthy certification process that teaches me how to teach the class.

We had seven girls today take the class and I think it went really well. I enjoyed so much being with these girls and seeing them learn and interact. It was rather fascinating....much better than a reality show, I think. My favorite question of the day was, "How old are you when you are born?" How interesting.....think on that one for a second.

The question I asked myself after passionately teaching these girls how to be a safesitter for 6 hours today was, "Would I have ever initiated this training and taught this class before Julia?" The answer is definitely no. I am ashamed to say I never cared too much about stuff that involved kids/babies before her. Now, I cannot think of a better way to spend a day at work. Hopefully, there are 7 great babysitters floating around Cross County after today. And, one better teacher who learned alot too.

1 comment:

jennisg said...

Joy - that sounds like a great class let me know next time you offer it I would love for my daughter to take it. Jenni George