Monday, August 18, 2008

Mamma Mia! Here I Go Again.....

John and I got to have a date tonight and we went to see Mamma Mia, the movie. Julia stayed with my parents who were thrilled to have her visit. My obsession with the musical started 3 years ago when I was in NYC. We stood in line to pay cash for cheap Broadway tickets without any plans on what we wanted to see. We ended up with great seats to Mamma Mia for a Sunday matinee at the Winter Park Theater on Broadway. This was my first, and best Broadway experience. I have seen a lot of musicals since then, and I have to say that this one was/is by far my favorite. My Aunt Jane and Scottie met me at the musical and I will never forget what it felt like when the show was over and the doors opened to a beautiful Sunday afternoon in NYC. My senses were in overdrive!!!

I immediately bought the CD and I have loved it ever since. I skip through other songs on my ipod to get to these. With that behind me, I was a little biased on the movie. LOVED the music and it took all I had to sit still in my seat and to not sing really loud. I was swallowing "lumps of cry" when the mom was singing "Slipping Through My Fingers" to her daughter who was about to get married.

Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time.
Slipping through my fingers all the time, I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time.

Aside from the music, the movie left a lot to be desired. Poor John....it was a chick flick if there ever was one. He says that he did enjoy the scenery. And a drum roll for the sweetest John comment of the night. When we got in the car, he said, "When Meryl sang that song to her daughter when she was getting dressed for her wedding, it made me want to go get Julia." We are trying really hard to "capture every minute!"

No comments: