Friday, April 25, 2008

Anyway She Wants It.....



It has been a busy week with night activities almost every night this week. But first, an update on Julia's weird condition. Dr. Beth called yesterday with a reading on the ultrasound from LeBonheur and they say there are some small cysts under her skin. They say that this is normal for breastfed babies, but that they should go away by the time she is four months old. I can feel them and they feel like small knots. Julia will be 5 months old in 4 days, so they are a little concerned about these, but not so concerned that they feel they need to be "aggressive." So this, coupled with the bleeding and increased estradiol levels in her blood were enough for Dr. Beth to consult with a pediatric endocrinologist at LeBonheur. He seemed to be a little bit baffled by the condition and told Beth that he had never seen anything quite like this before. He told Beth to check her estradiol levels again at her 6 month appointment and if they were still elevated for her to send us to him at LeBonheur. Beth told me to be grateful that even though this was a rare case, there are no indications that anything will come of it. We are hopeful that it will spontaneously resolve itself soon.
Going to LeBonheur was definitely an eye opening experience and I was reminded of how grateful I am that we have a healthy baby! Not to sound callous, but hearing about sick children never bothered me before Julia near as much as it does now!
Wednesday night, I had to come back to work and help the hospital Auxiliary (volunteers) with their annual $5 jewelery sale. They made a $1400 profit this year and were very happy. I brought Julia with me since John was at school and she was again fussy when anybody tried to hold her or talk to her. Last night, Julia and I attended the Endowment Foundation's spring celebration. She cried as soon as we walked in and was pretty fussy the entire time we were there. Dad was there and had to take her outside in her stroller while I was making a presentation. Julia's friends Sol and Emmy were there too, and were perfect angels. They smiled and talked to everyone there. When I put her in the car to go home, she starting singing and was all smiles when we were at home doing our nightly stuff....eating rice cereal, taking a bath, playing and getting her pajamas on. Julia is teaching me that she has her own personality already and that she does not like to be out of her environment and around people that she does not know. And I am learning that there in nothing that I can do to change it!
John was in a great mood last night because he found out he made an A in his math class at college. I was so afraid of how he would do in school, but I think even with all the stress that college brings, he is loving it. He is very proud of himself and is realizing that he can actually do this stuff! We will have to celebrate when he gets his final grades....I think he will do well and I am so happy for him!

1 comment:

Tara Jackson Burton said...

PERFECT LITTLE ANGELS?? I wonder who Neall and Becca brought to the program if she was a perfect little angel. Emmy is a mess and she was only good because I wasn't around.

Can't wait to see Julia again. Tell her that Emmy got a "My first sushi book" that she is so eager to share with J! Give her kisses for us all.