Saturday, September 6, 2008

A New Friend

Georgia called me Friday and told me that my friend Anne Block who lives in Los Angeles was in town and they wanted to come over and meet Julia after I got off work. I called John and asked him to clean up a little before I got home because they were planning to come over around 4:30, which gave me about 15 minutes to straighten up. I raced home to three shiny, sparkling clean stainless steel appliances and a pretty huge mess every where else that I looked. I had to laugh because this was such a good example of another quirky John-"ism"...he explained his spending an hour shining the appliances instead of tackling a chore that was much more critical as something that really needed to be done. I cleaned the rest of the house in the 15 minutes before they arrived and I was shocked when they didn't even mention how clean my appliances were.
I was happy to see Anne. She was such a good hostess to my Mom and I when we were in LA the February before last to see the after-Oscar Oprah show. Anne has the coolest job of anyone I know...she is kind of like a travel agent, except she gets to accommodate all of her clients on their vacations. She told me that she had been to Paris 49 times. Her favorite place that she has visited is Italy.
Julia, Anne, and Georgia

Saturday morning, I had to work at the Colt Pioneer Days festival in Colt. It was like being back in time about 50 years and we were entertained all morning by some local gospel singers. Liza checked blood pressures, while I handed out literature on heart health while I enjoyed my Frito pie lunch (I think this was a little bit of a conflict of interest). Saturday afternoon, I taught a family CPR. They hope to adopt a child soon and needed the certification to be eligible for a possible state adoption. I think everybody should know CPR and I was happy to spend a couple of hours this afternoon helping them out.

Julia has a new favorite game. It involves two plastic cubes. She crawls with one in each hand and then throws one out in front of her and goes to get it. When she gets it, she throws the other one in front of her and goes to get it. What a brilliant game....who would have thought it could bring so many hours of entertainment!

No comments: