Tuesday, October 13, 2009

RIP Spooky Shepherd

Our 16 year old cat Spooky died this morning. She was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and has had three surgeries to remove the lumps. We knew our time with her was quickly coming to an end the past couple of weeks when she stopped eating and was really slow to move around. John and I had decided last night that we would take her to the vet this afternoon when we got off work to put her out of her misery. Thanks goodness, she died peacefully early this morning at home and we buried her in our backyard. RIP Spooky!

Just for fun, the Spooky story.....

In 1993, I was going to college and we were having a terrible mouse problem in this substandard housing that we were living in. A girl at college told me she had some baby kittens that she needed to get rid of. Thinking that I could solve the mouse problem, I asked her to bring me one the next day. She did and she was a sweet little six week old black kitten. We named her Spooky because it was close to Halloween and because she was black. When I got home, John was SO mad....he does not love a cat. Spooky did solve our mouse problem and we quickly grew to love her. She slept by my head for many years and she was like family. Spooky's peaceful life became a little chaotic when Julia came along, but she learned to love Julia and would still cuddle with the three of us on the couch. I could tell Spooky stories all day long, but its still a little too painful to talk much about her. She gave us 16 years of happy memories and we will miss her dearly!

Not a great picture....but this is healthy and happy Spooky a couple of years ago looking down at us through the stairway railing.

This picture was taken last night from her hiding spot under the bed in Julia's room.

RIP!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, Joy - 16 years is a long, long time. What a lucky kitty! I'm so sorry for your loss - it's tough but the happy memories will help you in the coming days and months.

Pat said...

So sorry - I know how you feel losing a beloved pet; we've lost two kitties over the years. I'm glad I got to see Spooky not too long ago.